The ‘Bright Start Prep’ classroom is a natural, carefully researched progression from the Pre-school year. The program is centred around inquiry learning and provides for practical, ‘hands on’ experiences, manipulative and creative activities, role play and tactile exploration.
Literacy and Numeracy are a major part of the Essential Learning Areas. The ‘Bright Start Prep’ Program includes, Visual arts, Performing Arts, Information Communication Technology, Science, technology, Languages other Than English, Health and Physical education.
A Leading State School in the Education and Care of Children
We warmly welcome you to Weeden Heights Primary School and wish you and your children a happy and rewarding time as part of our school community.
Weeden Heights Primary School is a school where parents, teachers and children proudly work together to ensure the best possible start and future for our children.
We care about the children in our school and we are sincere in asking for your involvement in educating your child as we believe the early years are crucial to a child’s future success.
Starting school is one of the most significant steps in a young child’s life. The successful experiences in the early years of schooling are vital for their progress through school and their future success. Our ‘Bright Start Prep’ Program and our experienced and dedicated Prep Teaching and Learning Team are committed to ensuring all students reach their full potential.
Our educational programs are exemplary. We have been recipients of many awards, primarily in the area of Literacy. The results our students achieve are excellent. This is a credit to our teachers and students and gives you an insight into our school and our pursuit of excellence. We have effective extension programs and provide significant intervention and support for students and families.
Student wellbeing is a priority. We believe in developing student self esteem, confidence and compassion for one another in a stimulating learning environment. All students are valued as individuals with unique qualities and abilities. We are committed to engaging and empowering students to be creative thinkers and connect their learning to life through real life, ‘hands on’ experiences. We develop an awareness of environmental issues, an appreciation of all cultures and build strong home school partnerships.
Our school proudly fosters a strong sense of community and belonging and is well supported by parents who are actively involved in all school activities. We believe the role of education and schools are changing. It is our responsibility to ensure our students and whole school community are actively involved and prepared for their participation in a society where issues of health and wellbeing, environmental sustainability and acceptance and celebration of all cultures is critical.
We are committed to making a difference.
‘Bright Start Prep’ Program
School readiness is not determined simply by a child’s age or their intellectual knowledge. It also depends on their social, emotional, physical and cognitive skills and their ability to handle new situations. The year prior to school entry and during our first weeks of schooling, teachers assess and carefully observe all aspects of your child’s readiness and development. The teachers undertake Literacy and Numeracy assessment and home visits in order to build the strong home school relationships. These results guide future learning and direction to meet all emotional, physical, social and educational needs.
All children are individuals. We recognise each child has unique strengths, needs and abilities and that not all children are at the same stage of development at the same time. We know so much about children’s learning and we know with absolute certainty that children learn best when they are happy and secure with high self esteem. Self confidence is a vital ingredient to effective learning. Our ‘Bright Start Prep’ Program strives to build children’s self esteem through all daily classroom activities, play and extra curricular activities. In partnership with parents, we plan for every Prep child to ensure children are catered for at their individual stage of development with an emphasis on individual learning styles, self confidence and independence.
The ‘Bright Start Prep’ classroom
is a natural, carefully researched progression from the Pre-School year. The program is centred around inquiry learning and provides for practical, ‘hands-on’ experiences, manipulative and creative activities, role play and tactile exploration.
Literacy and Numeracy are a major part of the Essential Learning Areas. The ‘Bright Start Prep’ Program includes Visual Art, Performing Arts, Information Communication Technology, Science, Technology, Languages other Than English, Health and Physical Education.
In the ‘Bright Start Prep’ Program,
children will learn through active, problem solving activities and they will see why things happen for themselves. These activities develop social skills, coordination and motor skills and allow each child to experience opportunities for challenge and success. The program aims to optimise each students ability to learn.
Our ‘Bright Start Prep’ Program will provide a solid foundation for achievement. Each child is carefully monitored with ongoing assessment. Each child’s educational program is individually planned with both long and short term goals. The Prep teachers cater for a wide range of maturity levels, interests and experiences and liaise regularly with parents, reporting on each child’s individual progress. Enrichment and extension is provided within all curriculum and extra curricular areas. Parents have the opportunity to follow up with suggested activities and strategies at home to support their child’s development.
The ‘Bright Start Prep’ Program - a place of fun and learning
= ACHIEVEMENT and SUCCESS
- Small class sizes
- Warm, secure environment
- Supportive and welcoming teachers
- A team approach by all staff
- Supported by a range of consultants and learning support staff
- Individual one to one Literacy and Numeracy assessment
- Home visits
- Personalised program
- Individual and small group instruction
- Strong Literacy & Numeracy focus
- Student wellbeing a priority
- Dynamic and exciting teaching
- Inquiry based learning
- All children participate in the Buddy program
- Learning Support Staff attached to Literacy and Numeracy time
- Focus on communication and social skills
- Develop problem solving skills
- Enrichment and extension opportunities
- Additional support and specialised intervention
- Parent participation
- State of the art equipment
- Specialists programs
- Home Reading & Writers Briefcase program
PROGRAMS, RESOURCES & PERSONNEL
These are just some of the Programs, Resources and Personnel available to the ‘Bright Start Prep’ Program:
- Spacious and inviting classrooms
- State of the art computers and interactive whiteboards in classrooms
- Regional Trainer & Coordinators in Literacy & Numeracy
- Extensive range of Literacy and Numeracy resources
- Library & Multi-media Resource Centre
- Languages other than English : Indonesian, French, German
- Well equipped Visual and Performing Arts program
- Excellent Science and Technology resources
- Extensive range of Physical Education equipment
- Swimming Program
- Perceptual Motor Program
- Fully carpeted, heated and air conditioned classrooms
- Indoor toilets
- Modern outdoor play areas and equipment
- Kitchen Garden
- First Aid trained staff
- Canteen and Uniform shop
- Active Before and After School Care Program
- General Purpose room
- Shaded play areas and expansive supervised grounds
- Tennis Coaching (Prep – 3) – small group private lessons
- Instrumental Music Program – small group/ private lessons
- Fresh Youth Theatre – small group private lessons
At the completion of our ‘Bright Start Prep’ Program your child will:
- Have settled in the school environment and routines
- Have a sense of belonging
- Be familiar with the school community and have developed friendships
- Be confident with his/her success and ready for continuous learning
- Be curious and alert
- Be exploring and problem solving
- Find learning meaningful
- Be secure, so that challenges are welcomed
- Be motivated, engaged and interested in learning
- Have solid foundations for Literacy and Numeracy learning
- Have developed creativity and imagination