Bright Beginnings Transition
At Weeden Heights we know that if our students are supported in their transitions through all levels within a school then they will achieve more academically, socially and emotionally through their schooling. All students need to know what is expected and reflect on how they learn to optimise their learning.
Our whole school transition program, Bright Beginnings, was developed by school psychologist in conjunction with the classroom teachers and existing wellbeing programs such as Bounce Back. The whole school participates in the Bright Beginnings program facilitated by each class teacher. The program starts at the end of each school year, and then continues for the first few weeks of the new school year.
The Bright Beginnings Program encourages excellence in student learning, supports student wellbeing and provides a framework to build connectedness within classrooms and year levels.
The Bright Beginnings Program is structured to
- cater for individual’s needs
- link the individual to the next level
- build a sense of belonging in the next level
- provide an opportunity for individuals to reflect and learn about the factors that ease their transitions and thus prepare them for coping with changes later in life.
- develop shared understandings of what makes for a great learning environment.
- provide opportunities to reflect on how they best learn and develop structures that support their learning.
The Bright Beginnings Program also sets up students for a year of success in their learning as students are involved in:
- setting up agreements of classroom understandings,
- formulating ideas on quality work
- learning more about themselves and each other
- building connectedness for all members of the classroom
- reflecting on and discovering what helps their personal learning
- exploring different thinking tools
- setting personal goals and plans to achieve them
- creating a positive learning environment for all
Weeden Heights Primary School is proud of the programs that operate within the school. We believe that if students are happy and have strong connections to a school then learning is enhanced to ensure that students maximise their potential.
Our Buddy Program develops and promotes positive relationships throughout the school. In particular the program establishes strong links between the incoming Preps and Year 4 students over a three year period. The Buddy Program supports children transitioning from pre-school to Weeden Heights. The Year 4 students are regularly involved in the monthly transition program, visit pre-schools with teachers and at the end of the year are working directly with their new buddy.
The formal aspect of the Buddy Program begins in the Prep year with the buddies now in Year 5. The program is well supported by two student leaders who are allocated Buddy Monitors. This leadership role ensures that the monitors work with the Prep and Year 5 teachers to negotiate appropriate activities and times to meet. Activities developed involve supporting in the playground, meeting for lunches, formal classroom activities, support in the computer lab and working directly on whole school events and days.
The program is an excellent opportunity for every Year 5 students to begin to develop and learn about leadership and responsibilities. This directly supports their personal development leading into the Year 6 Leadership Program. Our students look forward to being a part of this program and take great pride in the relationships that they develop.
Many lasting friendships are formed and a great deal of fun and learning take place. The Prep and Year 5 students and teachers meet regularly and share a variety of experiences.